Jiovann Carrasco Talks Mindfulness and ParentingEpisode 43
Welcome! My guest today is Jiovann Carrasco, a psychotherapist in Austin, TX. Jiovann is the owner of the Austin Mindfulness Center, a meditator, and the author of an online mindfulness program called Follow your Breath. He is an engaged and connected father to two young kids and worked as a stay-at-home dad for two years! Let’s jump into this topic of mindfulness with Jiovann!
What you’ll hear in this episode:
- How Jiovann began practicing meditation in 2008, as a result of the anxiety and panic attacks from his stressful job as a therapist at a group home
- How Zen meditation changed Jiovann and allowed him to connect with himself like never before
- How does Jiovann define mindfulness? “Attending to whatever arises in the present moment without trying to change it or judge it.”
- Jiovann explains the benefits to mindfulness in parenting.
- Why Jiovann took a popular course on Positive Discipline and became a certified parent educator
- Jiovann explains how to bring mindfulness to even the everyday mundane tasks required in parenting.
- How Jiovann structures his early morning meditation practice and time with his kids
- How kids already know how to be mindful and present WAY more than adults
- Fearful thoughts and worries are what our minds naturally focus on; mindfulness finds ways to shine the spotlight on anything else in the present moment.
- Jiovann recommends two books: Planting Seeds by Thich Nhat Hanh and Sitting Still Like A Frog by Eline Snel.
- Jiovann explains the basics of his 6-week, on-demand, online course. See details below!
- What does joyful courage mean to Jiovann? “Mindfulness is one of the most courageous things to do. It’s intentionally moving toward the fears, and joy and happiness are natural by-products.”
Connect with Jiovann:
www.austinmindfulness.org (Find information on the course, Follow Your Breath, including meditation audio, downloadables, journals, practice logs, videos, and access to the Facebook group. The normal price is $299, but through the end of 2016, the course is available for 50% off. But wait, it gets better!
FOLLOW YOUR BREATHE MINDFULNESS COURSE EXTRA DISCOUNT:
For JCP listeners, take an additional 35% off, which brings the price UNDER $100!) — CLICK HERE FOR THE DISCOUNT!
Community is everything!
Join our community Facebook groups: