Welcome! Today’s guest is Ryan Hamilton, one of the co-founders of the “Life of Dad,” a social media network for dads. He is changing how dads are represented in the parenting arena and is helping moms be more effective at sharing parenting tools and tips with their male partners. Let’s jump into conversation with Ryan!
What you’ll hear in this episode:
- Ryan has been a computer geek/tech guy all of his life; he now sees his son following in his footsteps in those interests.
- Ryan works full-time in the advertising industry, but runs his business on the sides for dads.
- Ryan shares how “Life of Dad” evolved from a heart-wrenching personal story of one of the co-founders.
- The purpose of “Life of Dad” is to enable a father to share his story via social media.
- Ryan became involved in the endeavor during a tumultuous time in his life, when he was going through a divorce, job loss, financial collapse, and depression.
- Ryan began blogging about the darker side of parenting.
- Ryan discusses how trends and parental role expectations have shifted as dads have pushed for change.
- Many new resources and dad communities are making change and allowing dads to have a voice.
- Co-parenting has changed in today’s culture of divorce; Ryan shares how he and his ex-wife make it work for them.
- Ryan decided to make the journey to veganism about two years ago, when he was depressed and suicidal.
- He began with being vegetarian, but then transitioned on to veganism.
- The “cleaning up” of his diet branched out to affect all other areas of his life.
- Ryan’s advice to other dads is to stay in touch, never feel alone, and reach out to your peer groups. Check out the resources below!
Community is everything!
Join our community Facebook groups:
Takeaways from the show
We are here for you
Join the email list
Join our email list! Joyful Courage is so much more than a podcast! Joyful Courage is the adolescent brand here at Sproutable. We bring support and community to parents of tweens and teens. Not a parent of a teen or tween? No worries, click on the button to sign up to the email list specifically cultivated for you: Preschool, school-aged, nannies, and teachers. We are here for everyone who loves and cares for children.I'm in!
Classes & coaching
I know that you love listening every week AND I want to encourage you to dig deeper into the learning with me, INVEST in your parenting journey. Casey O'Roarty, the Joyful Courage podcast host, offers classes and private coaching. See our current offerings.