Welcome! Today’s guest is Ryan Hamilton, one of the co-founders of the “Life of Dad,” a social media network for dads. He is changing how dads are represented in the parenting arena and is helping moms be more effective at sharing parenting tools and tips with their male partners. Let’s jump into conversation with Ryan!
What you’ll hear in this episode:
- Ryan has been a computer geek/tech guy all of his life; he now sees his son following in his footsteps in those interests.
- Ryan works full-time in the advertising industry, but runs his business on the sides for dads.
- Ryan shares how “Life of Dad” evolved from a heart-wrenching personal story of one of the co-founders.
- The purpose of “Life of Dad” is to enable a father to share his story via social media.
- Ryan became involved in the endeavor during a tumultuous time in his life, when he was going through a divorce, job loss, financial collapse, and depression.
- Ryan began blogging about the darker side of parenting.
- Ryan discusses how trends and parental role expectations have shifted as dads have pushed for change.
- Many new resources and dad communities are making change and allowing dads to have a voice.
- Co-parenting has changed in today’s culture of divorce; Ryan shares how he and his ex-wife make it work for them.
- Ryan decided to make the journey to veganism about two years ago, when he was depressed and suicidal.
- He began with being vegetarian, but then transitioned on to veganism.
- The “cleaning up” of his diet branched out to affect all other areas of his life.
- Ryan’s advice to other dads is to stay in touch, never feel alone, and reach out to your peer groups. Check out the resources below!
Community is everything!
Join our community Facebook groups: