This week we are revisiting Episode 43. This show originally came out in May of 2016. Offers and products mentioned during the show are likely outdated.
Welcome! My guest is Jiovann Carrasco, a psychotherapist in Austin, TX. Jiovann is the owner of the Austin Mindfulness Center, a meditator, and the author of an online mindfulness program called Follow your Breath. He is an engaged and connected father to two young kids and worked as a stay-at-home dad for two years! Let’s jump into this topic of mindfulness with Jiovann!
Connect with Jiovann:
Community is everything!
Join our community Facebook groups:
Takeaways from the show
- How Jiovann began practicing meditation in 2008, as a result of the anxiety and panic attacks from his stressful job as a therapist at a group home
- How Zen meditation changed Jiovann and allowed him to connect with himself like never before
- How does Jiovann define mindfulness? “Attending to whatever arises in the present moment without trying to change it or judge it.”
- Jiovann explains the benefits to mindfulness in parenting.
- Why Jiovann took a popular course on Positive Discipline and became a certified parent educator
- Jiovann explains how to bring mindfulness to even the everyday mundane tasks required in parenting.
- How Jiovann structures his early morning meditation practice and time with his kids
- How kids already know how to be mindful and present WAY more than adults
- Fearful thoughts and worries are what our minds naturally focus on; mindfulness finds ways to shine the spotlight on anything else in the present moment.
- Jiovann recommends two books: Planting Seeds by Thich Nhat Hanh and Sitting Still Like A Frog by Eline Snel.
Connect with Jiovann:
Positive Discipline Association Conference
Join us in person for the 2022 Positive Discipline Conference which features presentations for educators, clinicians, and parents. Spend the day developing Positive Discipline tools for home and school, or to support others through your coaching, consulting, or counseling practice.
Learn more at positivediscipline.org
Teaching Parenting The Positive Discipline Way
Teaching Parenting The Positive Discipline Way is a two day, in-person workshop designed to support participants in learning all they need to teach the Parenting the Positive Discipline Way curriculum. Developed by Lynn Lott and Jane Nelsen, this program provides a step-by-step approach to starting and leading experientially based parenting groups and classes. This curriculum can stand alone or can offer significant enhancement to other parenting programs; it emphasizes experiential activities that reach the heart to inspire deeper understanding and change.
Grounded in the work of Jane Nelsen and Adlerian Theory, Positive Discipline centers relationship, encouragement and the practice of life skills, with an overarching theme of trusting the process and recognizing mistakes as opportunities to learn and grow.
This course takes place IN PERSON Fri May 27th – Sat May 28th
8:30am – 5pm ET in McLean, VA
Learn more at besproutable.com/parent-educators
Exclusive Offers for Listeners
Check out these offers and support the show while you support yourself and your family:
Better Help: www.betterhelp.com/joyfulcourage get 10% off your first month
Teen Counseling: https://teencounseling.com/jcteen get 10% off your first month
Troomi Wireless: www.troomi.com use “joyfulcourage” and get $50 off your first phone
Therapy Bootcamp: https://www.destinationyou.net/therapy-bootcamp use “Joyful” at checkout for $30 off tuition to the programSubscribe to the Podcast